Sunday, July 11, 2010

Elephant Poop


My parents gave my sisters and me journals made of elephant poop for Easter a couple of years ago. Not being able to bring myself to use it, not because it was "disgusting" but because it was a beautiful journal that I didn't want to ruin and regret later, it sat with my books for me to admire. Today it was grabbed on the way to church since my other journal was lost in action. Telling Travis, as we were sitting in the pew, what it was made of he said, "And you brought it to church?!" Laughing, I told him it was clean and he didn't have to worry about the germs.

Listening to the talks about pioneers enduring their trials well, I thought of my elephant poop journal. The pages evidence of the elephant's travels, unique. I thought of the creator of the book that took some discarded waste and had a vision of turning it into something beautifully useful. It had to be strained, washed, boiled, pressed, formed and dried. A long and difficult process with several steps. Each part vital to the completed product, creating something that I cherish out of something most would have avoided.

Now, it is providing me with a wonderful function, which is reminding me of the cleansing power of the Atonement, every time I use it. He has the power and vision to press, wash and form us. Our experiences, where we have been in life and lessons adding to that unique result. If we let our Creator into our lives, he can turn those parts of us we would like to avoid, into something beautiful, with purpose.

And yes, I did get all that from elephant poop. :)

5 comments:

  1. You are expressing yourself beautifully. I never realized that the poop filled journal could be so inspirational. Thanks for the great thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a beautiful journal and thought on elephant poop. It should be used for church. Anyway can't wait to see you and the poop in Sept. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't you glad you didn't step in it???

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great analogy! Can't wait to see you :)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very inspiring and touching post.
    (But I can't help thinking that a person who comes up with the idea of making journals out of poop is a little... unusual!)

    ReplyDelete