Sunday, October 3, 2010

We Finished!


We finished the 1/2 Marathon through Disney World very early this morning. 1:25 to be exact. I think I enjoyed this run more than any other race we've had. Might be because we took it a little easier and stopped to take pictures. We took pictures with the characters from UP, the Osborn festival of lights (I can't think of the right name...), Timon and some dancers, every mile sign and some at Animal Kingdom. We also saw Darth Vader! We couldn't take a picture with him because he had to use the evil little boys room. I kept telling Travis that I wanted to stay within a certain range of happiness and enjoy the run, and that he could run ahead if he wanted to do it for time. He was sweet and stayed with me, but every one should know he could have beat me by 15-20 minutes. As it turns out, we were 400 yards from the finish line (did I mention I was dressed as Tink?) when there was another Fairy costume! I heard a yell from behind me say, "Don't let that other fairy beat you Tinkerbell!!" I looked at Travis and told him, "I think I was just challenged. I have to beat that other fairy." So we took off and ran hard the last little bit. Travis was running so hard at the finish line (Did I mention there were A LOT of people there? And professional photographers too?) He pulled out in front of me right at the finish line sprint and then, the man was at my feet! I don't know if it was the costume, or the wake from my running, but he went down hard. Poor guy. We tied, even down to the second. I can't wait for those pictures to become available! ... I love you Travis! And yes, of course I beat that other fairy :).

Then it was the long trek to picking up our bag, getting out of EPCOT, skipping the after the run drinking party and getting to the car. Travis throwing up goes in there somewhere. A few times. He drove back to his house until he couldn't drive anymore, puked, and I drove the rest of the way. Talking with my mom and Aaron on the phone gave me a little lift so I didn't feel quite so bad. Then I came home and crashed. And today I'm sore. Ice will be my friend :) But it was my favorite one by far and recommend running a Disney World 1/2 Marathon for fun instead of time. There are so many fun things to do along the course that we usually just run past, but not this time. Lots of memories were made :)

4 comments:

  1. Glad you survived and had fun. Don't forget to take care of poor Travis. It is hard to impress magical characters .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you all almost made it unscathed. It does sound a lot more fun than some of the others we've heard about. Thanks for sticking with her Travis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember what President Hinckley said: "Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured." I am sure that applies to 1/2 marathons, too! Congratulations to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed! It is my goal to someday have a goal to run a half-marathon! ;) I am so amazed... good job!

    ReplyDelete