Monday, May 24, 2010

Contemplating the First Year


May 21st is a significant day for a couple reasons. The first is my big brother Aaron's birthday. Happy birthday Aaron!

The second reason is the anniversary of me being a semi grown-up in a semi mature relationship for a whole year! A lot has happened in that year.
Timeline:
May 21, 2009: Travis asks me to officially be his girlfriend while we had a non DTR at Squaw Peak. Yeah, we broke with tradition and actually talked up there, unlike most other couples...

Editor's addition:
We met up with Beckie, Doug, Aden and Grandma and Grandpa Christensen so that my mom and dad would be able to feel better about this "mystery man" their daughter was going all over the country to see :) We went out for ice cream and had fun. I love my family, even the one's Travis was scared to meet at that time ha ha ha

June 30, 2009: Trav's birthday and I graduated from college :)

September 2009: Dad and I drive across the country, hit 2 skunks (dad hit them both) and I moved to Florida!! Talk about outside of my comfort zone. Mom said later that she was expecting me to call back wanting to go home for the first couple months. Can't say that I blame her. Change isn't my forte :)

October 2009: I got hired by Disney World to work in housekeeping. Mickey gave me my nametag... I bet your job isn't that cool!

November 2009: I called Travis and my dad crying because I didn't think I could do housekeeping. I hated it and it made my body ache all over. I dreaded work and hated going.

December 2009: I realized I can make work fun (thanks to my Dad for pulling out the old pioneers guilt trip, it worked) and start earning some good money as a housekeeper.

January 2010: Travis and I ran the Disney World Marathon together. It was one of the most intimidating things I have ever done, but I knew there was no other option but to finish. I'm not so sure Travis believed I was going to finish ha ha.

May 3, 2010: Travis meets the family and they like each other thankfully! (not that I had any doubts.)

May 21, 2010: Yes, Trav forgot it had been a year... I even made him dinner, but the poor guy still didn't get it. I made a point of putting all important dates (birthdays) in his iPhone to save him from future mishaps :) But we are still going strong and working towards our goal of eternal marriage. We have learned a lot about each other and how to communicate effectively. We have come a long way together and as individuals. He makes me smile, laugh and feel loved.
I also wouldn't have been able to make the changes and leaps of faith in my life this past year if it wasn't for my family supporting me. I am blessed with amazing parents who sacrifice to help me grow. This work in progress is keenly aware of the joint efforts of loved ones. Thank you!

9 comments:

  1. Hey wait just one Goofey minute! I wasn't crying when you called to say you couldn't do mousekeeping. I only cried when John Wayne died in a movie so don't go soiling my reputation.
    Does the car still skunk stink?
    Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot another reason May 21st is important.
    It was the one anniversary of my knee surgery. Thanks for forgetting. :)
    Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. if we are going in that direction Whitter, it is also the 2 year anniversary of my hand surgery :) we always are trying to steal the thunder from Aaron, aren't we? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and Dad, I think every one reading this knows I was the one who was crying. The car doesn't stink anymore unless Travis needs something to blame it on ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. You also forgot to mention that we got to meet him FIRST!! And that he met your family on MY birthday!! :) Hehehe j/k. Love you Lindsea. I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many words I loved hearing in there. You have grown into one very wise woman. I love the growth I see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Mom!
    Beckie, I put in the part where we met up with you guys ha ha. Thank you for meeting up with us and showing us the amazing ice cream place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have had quite a year! Congratulations on all of the good things you have going on.

    ReplyDelete