Saturday, April 25, 2009

7 Miles



My run was interesting today. The first mile had me more tired than usual and I could tell it wasn't going to be a great running day. Then the front of my leg, right above my ankles started giving me problems again. I hadn't found anyone that could tell me what these two bumps were from, but that area of my leg would get tight and hurt despite the many stretches I did. Remembering that I have a doctor for a brother, I took a picture and sent it to him for analysis. After some probing questions he determined that it was, "little spots of fluid that found weaknesses in your anterior compartment connective tissue called facia." Sounds smart enough for me to believe him! I asked him what I could do to help it, then was a little leery when I read "get a pair of steel scissors" because I sure wasn't going to perform surgery on my leg! Thankfully, all he said to do was massage the area to get the fluid out.

The run was ok. Since I stopped to take the picture and try to massage my legs a little bit, my time wasn't anything to brag about. 76 minutes. Not too shabby though.

There is a cute, old lady in town that always wears red, white and blue. She was exercising today and did a lap around Riverwalk. It was fun to pass her (she did 1/2 a lap in the time that I did 7) because she would stop her walker and start clapping. Ha ha! I asked her if I could use her walker for a while and she thought that was hilarious. I wish she was there more often, but this was the first time I saw her for my run. I would just like to point out that she was exercising for 3 hours today! Granted, it was a shuffle, but I was impressed at her determination. She was moving extremely slow, but she kept going. Kind of reminded me of myself. I may not be the runner with the best time and I may be tired, but I will keep going. That thought gave me something to chew on while I was stretching.

One thing I want to do is think of something, a characteristic, trait, experience, interest, feature...anything really, that I appreciate about myself and focus on that each week. This marathon journey is more than just running the 26.whatever miles, it is about me learning to love myself and reach a goal i previously thought impossible. Learning to be grateful for what I have been given. So this week, I am appreciative for my determination, aka stubborness :)

No comments:

Post a Comment