Thursday, April 23, 2009

Humble beginnings

"I am out of shape! How did I let my fitness level fall this low in just a couple months?" Being in a bit of a limbo in my life, I needed a specific goal that I could be in complete control over reaching. Thanks to someone who ran their first marathon earlier this year, I decided that would be a noble ambition. So I signed up! The second I did I wondered where my sanity was taking a vacation to, hoping it was some place warm and on a beach, because it was definitely not with me! I am overweight and out of shape. Can I make it to the finish line?

Starting out, I decide to follow the Nova Challenge Marathon Training Guide. It starts easy at 1 mile, then it gradually, emphasis on gradually, adds mileage for 10 months until you are ready to run the marathon.

The first mile was pretty easy, but I was still tired and sore afterward, which reminded me of my lack of endurance. A couple of weeks later I moved up to 2 miles. Same story. Then 3 miles, and I stayed at this marker for a while trying to get used to the distance again.

Early April I wanted a closer goal to help me stay motivated and so I decided to run a 10K. Unfortunately due to a lack of money, I couldn't run in the 10K, but chose to measure out 6.2 miles and run it myself. This was one of the best things I could have done. I set my goal day for April 18th and my time for 70 minutes. I am not a fast runner, but that gave me a few minutes to spare. Earlier that week I ran my first 4 miler in 41:30 minutes. Two days later I ran it again in 40:00. I was ready for my first unofficial 10K.

I woke up at my normal time, and measured out my course. It seemed a lot longer than I imagined it to be, but I was still excited to see how I did. Listening to Emerson Drive on my iPod I took off. Holy hills, why did I pick this course?? It was full of inclines, and magically, very few downhills. I made pretty good time through 3 miles, at about 31 minutes so far and still had some gas left. But at mile 5 I was feeling it. I wasn't sure I would finish under my 70 minute goal time with the pace I was at. Then I reminded myself that "Pain is temporary, but pride is forever." Thanks to a volleyball chant and a text message encouraging me, my feet kept moving forward. Cursing myself for picking that course, I had to drag my feet up the second to last hill. That was it. I wanted to give up. I was at 62 minutes and only had 1/4 mile to go. That was when my mind decided that I was sick of letting my body dictate what I did. So I kicked myself in the butt and ran home the last portion of my 10K, finishing in 65 minutes. Proudly, I walked to my lawn and laid down to stretch before almost peeing my shorts. Why did no one warn me that you have very little bladder control when running?? or after?? All in all, a very good day :)


No comments:

Post a Comment