Thursday, April 23, 2009

Never thought I would see this day

Today was my 5 mile day according to Hal Higdon. I know that is less than the 10K so I shouldn't have been worried, but I was. I remembered how tired I was at 5 miles and wasn't sure I wanted to do that again. But rounding up my courage I headed out to Riverwalk ( it is easier to keep running when you have an audience, don't want to appear weak ha ha). My goal time today was 55 minutes. I know that is 11 minute miles, but it was a realistic goal for me. While running, I kept thinking about how I wanted to be in control of my body. I was tired and my right foot started going numb, but it wasn't enough to slow me down. First mile: 9 minutes! Second mile: 10 min, Third mile: 10 min, Fourth mile: 10 min, Fifth mile: 9 minutes! I ran 5 miles in 48 minutes!! I was beyond excited. My body is a gift and for the first time in years, as I walked out my muscles and stretched, I felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude for it. My body is helping me accomplish a goal that seemed unattainable last month. What a blessing! What a great day...

No comments:

Post a Comment